Adding your roster via brightwheel's roster upload tool on the web app is the fastest way to add all of your students, their personal information, and any additional student contacts you would like to add. This can be done in as little as one day!
Table of Contents:
- Important Information
- How to Upload Your Roster
- Exporting from Third Party Systems
- Explanation of Fields
We understand that you may not have all the information that can be added to brightwheel on hand immediately. That's why we have made our requirements as minimal as possible! The only information required to be on the roster import for each student is:
- First Name
- Last Name
This is to ensure that you will be able to start logging actions and activities immediately after the roster has been imported. But there is so much more you can do!
Brightwheel will accept your file in whatever format it is submitted, as long as the minimal information is present and there are at least 10 students. The preferred file format is Excel or CSV.
For the fastest turnaround time and most accurate import, we highly recommend using our template:
- Excel - Download the template from our template from our web app here
- Google Sheet - If you do not have access to Excel, you can make a copy of this Google Sheet, simply click File > Make a Copy and then add your information.
- CSV - To download a CSV version of our template, open this Google Sheet and click File > Download As > CSV
Please read this important information about using our Roster Upload tool:
- We do not send invites to student contacts. This can be done from your web app after your roster upload is complete. See how here.
- Many schools that invite parents do a basic set up using our template, and then request that their parents populate their child’s profile with more detailed info (i.e. birthday, allergies, emergency contacts, additional guardians, etc.). Alternatively, you can resubmit an updated roster to be uploaded to your account.
- At any time you can add additional info to your account, via the web or mobile app; including teachers, parents, and individual student profile info.
- We offer 1 upload for Free accounts, and unlimited uploads for Premium customers.
How to Upload Your Roster
Once you file is ready, it's easy to securely send us your file. We will review the file and import it, typically within 1 business day. It's important that you are logged into the school account for which this upload is intended.
- Log in to your school's web app
- Navigate to the Students tab
- Click the Upload Roster button
- Click Upload Now to choose your file
5. Once the file is chose, you will receive this confirmation:
Exporting from Third Party Systems
Coming to brightwheel from another platform? We are happy to help you get that roster exported from them and quickly send it to us using the above instructions.
Explanation of Fields
Minimal Header Needed
- brightwheel_id - Brightwheel assignes a unique ID to every student once they are created in your school. If you are creating new students, leave this field blank, use your Roster Export to use these ID's to edit students in bulk. More on bulk editing here.
- student_id - Use this field to enter a student ID that your school has used in the past or want to use in the future, this is a free form field, so enter what works for you, or leave it blank.
- first_name - Student's first name.
- last_name - Student's last name.
- birthdate - Student's date of birth, formatted as M/D/YYYY.
- gender - At this time our system is limited to "male" or "female".
- enrollment_status - Enter the student's status as: Lead, Toured, Applied, Waitlist, Active, Inactive, Graduated, or Removed. We are not able to accept custom entries for this field at this time.
- medications - This is a free form field, enter any medications necessary here.
- allergies - Enter all student allergies here, if there is a valid entry, you will see allergy badges on student profiles.
- doctor_name - Doctor's full name.
- doctor_phone - Doctor's phone number.
- notes - Notes are a great way to document special needs or any other useful information about this student or family, this is a free form fried.
- meal_type - Assigning a meal type is a big help for CACFP reporting, choose one of the following entries: not_specified, free, reduced, paid, or leave the field blank.
- homeroom - This is the student's primary room assignment, there can only be one homeroom assignment per student.
- street_1 - Student's street address.
- street_2 - Any other address information such as PO Box, suite or apartment number.
- city - City name.
- state - Please use the two letter abbreviation for the state.
- country - Please use the two letter abbreviation for the country (ie: US).
- zip - Student's zip code.
Adding Additional Room Assignments:
Adding additional room assignments to students allows you to check them in/out and move them between rooms throughout the day. Simply add a new column to the sheet and use the room_1 header, this will allow you to add as many rooms as you would like by changing the 1 to a 2, or 3, 4, 5, etc.
Adding Student Contacts
Student contacts are not required when uploading your roster, but this makes a huge difference in student and staff involvement! You are able to add as many contacts as you would like, simply use the headers listed below. If you want to add more than one, simply change the 1 after the contact title to a 2, or 3, 4, 5, etc.
When adding this information, please enter the minimum of first and last name per contact. If you would like these users to be able to create their own accounts, be sure to include an email address or valid US or Canadian mobile number. The other two phone number fields are free form, you can input any additional numbers you would like there.