To improve flexibility, brightwheel empowers school administrators to set up their check-in settings in a way that will best fit the needs of their program. Adding the option to collect signatures and Quick Scan functionality improves security and reduces lines during the pickup and drop off rush! These settings are separated into the following categories:
- Check-Kiosk: Options that allow the school administrator to determine the steps required for staff and student contacts to complete a check-in/out.
- Attendance: Settings the limit notifications when moving students between rooms and staff check-in/out actions to administrator devices.
Table of Contents
Digital Signatures are a great way to increase the security of the center’s check-in experience. Enabling this option will require a student’s contacts to sign on the screen of the device being used to check in the student. The student contact will be prompted for a digital signature upon checking the student in or out for the day. This can also help meet state or licensing requirements, be sure to double-check with state authorities.
A picture of the signature will be included on the Check-in Report when viewed online. When this report is exported, the signature will be accessible via a link included in the export.
Brightwheel’s Health Screen option allows administrators to implement a customizable questionnaire that can be required of staff and/or students upon check-in. The Check-in Health Screening can be used in conjunction with brightwheel's Check-in Kiosk and Quick Scan features to minimize the touching of communal surfaces. These practices help administrators maintain a safe and healthy environment for students and staff members. See this article for more information on the Health Screen option and how to customize the questionnaire for students and staff.
The Quick Scan feature allows student contacts with Parent or Approved Pickup permissions, to check their student in/out through their personal devices. When Quick Scan is enabled, the person checking in the student can scan the QR-Image and complete the check-in process on the go! If the person checking in the student does not have access to the brightwheel app or does not want to use the Quick Scan feature, they can still complete the check-in/out using their check-in code.
Check out our Quick Scan FAQ article for more information.
Quick Scan Refresh & Printing the QR Code
Toggling on the quick scan refresh option forces the app to generate a new QR code every three hours. Some centers choose to enable this to increase security. Do not enable this feature if you are intending on printing the QR code.
With Quick Scan, administrators can choose to print out the QR code instead of using the QR code within the app or desktop. This is a handy way to speed up the check-in/out by posting a few printouts around your center, or at your classroom entrances. To print your school's QR code:
- From the web click on My School and then Settings
- Select the Settings tab
- Ensure Quick Scan is toggled On and Quick Scan Refresh is toggled Off
- Click Enter Check-in Mode
- Use the Print button in the upper right-hand corner
There are two key settings that are controlled in the Attendance Settings. These help determine how parents and staff experience brightwheel.
- Share with parents: Toggling this feature on will mean that when any staff at your program uses the Attendance Mode to check a student in/out of a room or uses the Move Room feature, the parent will be notified the same way they are when the student is check-in/out using the Kiosk.
- Staff check-in from any device: Enabling this feature means that staff can check themselves in from any device logged into brightwheel as a staff account. Disabling it means that they will need to have access to an admin device when clocking in/out.