Brightwheel has begun releasing our new billing platform for new users. If the content in this article does not match what you see in your account, please click here for related content in your account.
Statements provide a summary view of all billing activity that has taken place in a given statement period. Statements are generated as a PDF and are linked from the Student Account on brightwheel's web or mobile app. When a statement is sent, student contacts with parent-level permissions will receive a notification prompting them to visit their Student’s Account, see the statement, and make a payment.
Table of Contents
Reading a Statement
When a childcare provider adds a student to their billing platform, they will determine the Billing Interval. This interval dictates the frequency in which a new statement will display on the student’s account. This also determines the due date and overall billing cadence.
Statements will show 5 key pieces of information:
- Statement Period: The date range that the statement covers. For example, a monthly statement could have a statement period of May 1 - May 31 for May; a weekly statement could have a statement period of May 6 - May 12. The exact time the statement will be closed is midnight of the school’s local time zone on the last day of the statement period.
- Due Date: The statement will clearly state the date that payment is due. Every statement will have a due date.
- Statement Issue Date: The date on which the statement will be posted to the student’s account. The statement is always sent on the day after the last date of the statement period - on June 1 for the above monthly example or May 13 for the above weekly example. The statement notification will be sent the following morning (local time).
- Previous Balance: The statement includes the previous balance due which is calculated as the summation of all account activity (charges & payments) as of the moment that the statement period began. For example, if the balance owed was $1000 as of 12:01 AM on May 1, then the previous balance would equal $1000 on the May monthly statement. The previous balance can be negative (meaning the student has paid more than they owe the school) or positive (meaning the student owes the school money).
- Total Charges: Statements will summarize the total amount of charges included in the statement to easily see how much more the school is owed as a result of this period’s activity.
- All Activity During the Statement Period: Statements will show all of the account activity that was conducted during the statement period including any charges posted by the school, payments made by any parent, and any refunds or credits made by the school.
- Statement Balance: The statement will clearly state the new balance owed to the school. It will be the sum of the previous balance due and all of the activity during the statement period. The new balance due can be positive (meaning the student owes the school money) or negative (meaning the student has paid more than they owe the school).
Please Note: If there was no activity during a specific statement interval, a blank statement will still be generated at the end of the billing period and post to your account, but there will not be any notification.
All historical statements are conveniently listed in the table located in the student’s billing account. To access it, use the Select an action drop-drop down and choose View all statements. The table includes
- Payment Due Date: The date on which the statement balance is or was due
- Total Charges: The sum of all charges included in the statement
- Remaining Balance: The balance still owed to the school at the time you are looking at the account page. Payments will be applied to the oldest statement with a remaining balance.
View any past statement by clicking the View Statement link in line with the statement on the Past Statements table. This will open a new tab to view the PDF online, from here choose to print or download the statement.