Communication between staff and student contacts is vital to the success of any student's education. Brightwheel makes it simple with a suite of easy-to-use built-in messaging tools on the mobile app or on the web. Communicate directly with all of the teachers the student interacts with daily by sending instant messages and getting notified of replies in the brightwheel mobile app.
The ability to view and send messages in brightwheel varies depending on the type of student contact the user has been set up as by the provider.
- Parent Contacts - Have full access to all messages sent by any student contact or staff member regarding that student.
- Family Contacts - Are able to send messages to the provider, but are unable to view any inbound messages.
- Approved Pickups & Emergency Contacts - Absolutely no access to any messaging tools or features.
Table of Contents
View and Send Messages
Student Contacts with Parent level permissions can view messages from teachers, staff, and other student contacts from the mobile app and respond directly in the thread. Parent and Family contacts can send a message to the provider at any time. These messages are viewable by all teachers assigned to the student's classroom(s), center administrators, and all Parent contacts on the student profile.
On the Web
On the Mobile App
Please note: Only Parents can see the messages in a student’s profile. Family Contacts can send but not receive messages. Approved Pickups and Emergency Contacts have no access to messages.
Student Contact Message Types
To improve communication and make messages more readable for all parties, brightwheel offers five different message types for student contacts. When selecting any message type other than General, the first line of the message will be bolded with that message type to help indicate to teachers and staff the subject of the message.
- General - This is the most commonly used message type. Use this for typical back-and-forth conversations, just like a text message.
- Late Drop Off - With a bolded header, quickly communicate that the student will be dropped off later than usual with an optional note.
- Late Pick Up - With a bolded header, quickly communicate that the student will be picked up later than usual with an optional note.
- Early Pick Up - With a bolded header, quickly communicate that the student will be picked up earlier than usual with an optional note.
- Absent - With a bolded header, quickly communicate that the student will be not be attending on a scheduled day with an optional note.
Newsletters are a specific message type that teachers and administrators can use to create longer and more in-depth updates about the provider and their activities. These messages will display with the bolded message type Newsletter with the title of the newsletter. Tap or click on that message to view the entirety of the newsletter.