Brightwheel has begun releasing our new billing platform for new users. If the content in this article does not match what you see in your account, please click here for related content in your account.
The billing plan for a student is composed of two parts: 1) a statement schedule and 2) any recurring charges that should appear on a student’s bill each month. Administrators can set up a billing plan for multiple students at once or for an individual student. Each student can only have one Billing Plan. A student must have a billing plan before any charges can be sent to the student’s parent contacts. A billing plan can include multiple recurring charges and discounts, they can also be created without any recurring charges if no recurring charges are applicable, this is a good option if on a drop-in cadence and charges are accrued over a specified amount of time.
As with a cell phone or utility bill, students are consistently charged on the same day of the interval chosen through brightwheel. The statement can include a combination of regular recurring charges that appear each month and one-time charges that only appear on a single statement.
Table of Contents
Billing Plan Setup
The billing plan is the billing foundation for the student - it contains the statement schedule details and any recurring charges that will be automatically added to all future statements. A billing plan must have a statement schedule; adding recurring charges to the plan is optional. Each student can only have 1 billing plan.
It is easiest to add new billing plans in bulk when first implementing or starting a new school year. Administrators can opt to bulk set up plans for students with the same set of recurring charges (for example, all students in the same room, who are charged the same amount each month for tuition). Alternatively, administrators may prefer to bulk set up all student billing plans with the same statement schedule (for example, all students who receive monthly statements across all rooms) and then add recurring charges to plans later. The process will be the same if a billing plan needs to be added to a single student at a later time.
- Navigate to the Billing section of brightwheel
- Choose Billing plan from the Create new dropdown
- Select the desired student(s) that are on the same plan structure and click the Statement schedule button
- Choose how often the statements should send: Weekly, Bi-weekly, or Monthly
- Determine how many days prior to the payment due date the statement should send
- Select the day of the week the payment should be due and pick a Starting Date
- Select the desired billing period (past, current, or future) and click the Add recurring charges button
- Add as many Recurring Charges and/or discounts and click the Preview & confirm button, or click I'll add charges later to skip this step
- Preview the example statement presented and click Create billing plans
Manage Billing Plans
There are instances in which administrators may need to modify a student’s billing plan: for example, when a student transitions to a new room or rates change for a new year. Administrators can modify, edit, delete, and add recurring charges and discounts at any time after a plan has been created.
The statement interval of a plan cannot be edited once it has been created. If the statement interval of a plan needs to be modified, the best course of action is to end the existing plan and start a new plan on a different statement interval.
- Navigate to the desired student's billing account page
- Choose Manage billing plan from the Select an action dropdown
- Modify charges as needed and Save
Ending a Billing Plan
During the plan setup, administrators have the option to Add an end date. By entering a date here, the plan and all associated charges will stop sending after that date. This is a great option if there is a known end to a specific program.
In addition, the end date of a plan can be modified as needed. If s student has put in notices that they will no longer attend after a specific date, an administrator can modify the billing plan to end on that date by clicking Edit next to the Statement Schedule and then adding a Last payment due date.
Administrators may delete an existing billing plan from a student’s billing account. This may be due to a student leaving the school or a student transitioning statement intervals (for example, from monthly statements to weekly statements). To delete a plan:
- Navigate to the student’s Billing Account page
- Select Manage billing plan from the Choose an action dropdown
- Click Delete this plan
- Determine if pending charges should be deleted or posted immediately
- Click Confirm my selection to delete the plan
Choosing to post the changes immediately will trigger a one-time charge with all current pending charges. The notification period selected as part of the Billing Plan will apply here as well - the charges will be due in the same number of days after the statement is sent.
Administrators will see a warning upon selecting Delete Plan notifying them of these consequences. Administrators can then review and modify charges on the statement (or, if desired, remove all charges from the statement altogether, which means the parent contacts will not receive any notice of the statement posting) before deleting the plan.
Administrators can then set up a new billing plan if desired. No recurring or ad-hoc charges will carry over to the new billing plan.
After a Billing Plan Ends
Once a billing plan has ended (either because the admin has deleted the plan, or because it was scheduled to stop on a certain date), refunds, credits, payments, and disputes can still post to the account after the last statement closes. New charges cannot be added to the account (unless another billing plan is set up.)
In general, parent contacts will not receive regular statements after a billing plan ends. However:
- If a refund, credit, payment, or dispute occurs after the plan ends, the parent contacts will see this activity reflected on their student's account, on the Student Activity page.
- If the payer is issued a refund or credit, they will receive an email notification about this activity (not in the form of a statement).
The parent contact will not receive a statement containing the above activity until one of two events occurs:
- The administrator creates a new billing plan for the student: At the moment a new draft statement opens, a statement will be posted to the student’s account covering all activity between the end date of the previous plan’s last statement and the start date of the new plan’s first statement.
- Year-end: On the last day of the year at midnight local time, a statement will be created containing all remaining activity from the end date of the ended plan’s last statement and the end of the year. It will be sent to the parent contacts the following morning.
Please Note: If this statement is blank, it will post silently (meaning it will be visible on the Student Account page for both admins and parent contacts but they will not receive a notification about the statement).