Brightwheel has begun releasing our new billing platform for new users. If the content in this article does not match what you see in your account, please click here for related content in your account.
Feature Available on All Plans
Feature Available on Web App
The billing plan for a student is composed of two parts: 1) a statement schedule and 2) any recurring charges that should appear on a student’s bill each month. Administrators can set up a billing plan for multiple students at once or for an individual student. Each student can only have one Billing Plan. A student must have a billing plan before parents can be charged. A billing plan can include multiple recurring charges and it can also be created without any recurring charges.
As with a cell phone or utility bill, parents are consistently charged on the same day of the interval you’ve chosen through brightwheel. Their statement can include a combination of regular recurring charges that appear each month, and one-time charges that only appear on a single statement.
Table of Contents
Billing Plan Setup
The billing plan is the billing foundation for the student - it contains the statement schedule details and any recurring charges that will be automatically added to all future statements. A billing plan must have a statement schedule; adding recurring charges to the plan is optional. Each student can only have 1 billing plan.
It is easiest to add new billing plans in bulk. You can opt to bulk set up plans for students with the same set of recurring charges (for example, all students in the same room, who are charged the same amount each month for tuition). You can also choose to bulk set up all students with the same statement schedule (for example, all students who receive monthly statements across all rooms) and then add recurring charges to plans later. The process will be the same if you need to add a billing plan to a single student at a later time. Here’s how:
- Navigate to the Billing section of brighwheel
- Click the Set up billing plan for multiple students option in the Select a batch action dropdown
- Select all of the students you would like to have the same plan structure and click the Statement schedule button
- Configure the Statement Schedule and click the Add recurring charges button
- Add as many Recurring Charges and/or discounts and click the Preview & confirm button, or click I'll add charges later to skip this step
- Preview the example statement presented and click Create billing plans
Manage Billing Plans
There are instances in which administrators may need to modify a student’s billing plan: for example, when a student transitions to a new room or rates change for a new year. Administrators can modify, edit, delete, and add recurring charges and discounts at any time after a plan has been created.
The statement interval of a plan cannot be edited once it has been created. If you need to edit the statement interval of a plan, the best course of action is to end the existing plan and start a new plan on a different statement interval.
Ending a Billing Plan
Administrators may delete an existing billing plan from a student’s billing account. This may be due to a student leaving the school or a student transitioning statement intervals (for example, from monthly statements to weekly statements) mid-year. To delete a plan:
- Navigate to the student’s Billing Account page
- Select Manage billing plan from the Choose an action drop down
- Click Stop sending statements
- Confirm and click Delete this plan
If the first Draft Statement has not yet opened, an administrator can delete the billing plan with no impact on the parent.
If the billing plan has already started and there is an open Draft Statement, deleting a plan will trigger the existing draft statement to close and all charges on the draft statement will be posted to the student’s account at the end of that day at midnight local time (the prompt will say Post charges and end statement). The statement will be sent to parents the following morning. The notification period selected as part of the Billing Plan will apply here as well - the charges will be due the same number of days after the statement is sent.
Administrators will see a warning upon selecting Delete Plan notifying them of these consequences. Administrators can then review and modify charges on the statement (or, if desired, remove all charges from the statement altogether, which means parents will not receive any notice of the statement posting) before deleting the plan.
Administrators can then set up a new billing plan if desired. No recurring or ad-hoc charges will carry over to the new billing plan.
After a Billing Plan Ends
Once a billing plan has ended (either because the admin has deleted the plan, or because it was scheduled to stop on a certain date), refunds, credits, payments, and disputes can still post to the account after the last statement closes. Charges cannot be added to the account (unless another billing plan is set up.)
In general, parents will not receive regular statements after a billing plan ends. However:
- If a refund, credit, payment or dispute occurs after the plan ends, parents will see this activity reflected on their account, on the Student Activity page in the Activity Since Last Statement section.
- If the parent is issued a refund or credit, they will receive an email notification about this activity (not in the form of a statement).
The parent will not receive a statement containing the above activity, until one of two events occurs:
- The administrator creates a new billing plan for the student: At the moment a new draft statement opens, a statement will be posted to the student’s account covering all activity between the end date of the previous plan’s last statement and the start date of the new plan’s first statement.
- Year end: On the last day of the year at midnight local time, a statement will be created containing all remaining activity from the end date of the ended plan’s last statement and the end of the year. It will be sent to the parents the following morning.
Please Note: If this statement is blank, it will post silently (meaning it will be visible on the Student Account page for both admins and parents but parents will not receive a notification about the statement).