Brightwheel has begun releasing our new billing platform for new users. If the content in this article does not match what you see in your account, please click here for related content in our new platform.

Schools now have the power to issue and manage parent refunds right from their dashboard. It’s important to note that you can only issue a refund for payments that have cleared. Pending payment cannot be stopped or refunded. Once cleared, funds can be refunded back to the payment method used for the original payment. For example, if a parent pays you via check and you will be required to refund that payment offline via check or cash. Refunds cannot be processed on a different card or bank account.

There are no additional processing fees associated with a refund. Any processing fees that where charged at the time of payment will also be refunded to the school.

1. Login to your account on a desktop computer and navigate to Billing > Invoices:

2. Click on the Options button next to the invoice, and then click Manage:

Then you click "options" again and you'll have the option to refund the invoice:

3. You can then edit the amount you wish to refund (you may refund any amount up to the full total of the invoice) and select a reason:

4. Once you select Confirm Refund, you will see that the status of the invoice has changed to Refund Pending. Please be aware that it may take up to 10 days for the refund to process back to the parent's account.

5. Once the refund is complete, the invoice status will change to Refunded or Partially Refunded if only a portion of the invoice was returned. If an invoice is partially refunded, you still have the option to refund the remainder of the invoice at a later date. 

Please Note: You can only refund specific invoices issued to a student and not their general account. As a result, it’s important to find the specific invoice you wish to refund and refund it back to the family on the payment method they used to complete that payment.

If you're looking to refund a cash or check payment, please click here.

Did this answer your question?